Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SonicOS Enhanced 6.5.4.11-97n Fiber connection issues

Hi,

Our company has optimum as an ISP and the fiber connection keeps dropping. I was wondering if there are any compatibility issues with Sonic wall and fiber.

The connection drops at least once a week, sometimes more and sometime less. It could stay out up to 20 minutes at a time. Sometime sit comes back and then sometimes it drops again. They have replaced the modem several times to no avail.

We have a static IP so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

Ultimately it comes down to whether or not there are compatibility issues with fiber and the Sonicwall. They think it's our equipment that's the issues. It could be a bad port, or a bad switch; however, we have a cable modem as well that has zero issues when plugged into all of our equipment.

Please let me know if you have any ideas on troubleshooting.

Thanks

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Have you checked the logs when it goes down?

Do you do anything to make it work again?

You can set up probing in Failover & Load Balancing settings to regularly ping the internet. That will log events when the ping stops working.

• cyber_monkeycyber_monkey Newbie ✭

Haven't checked in a while. As of right now the fiber port (x1) is turned off completely. We ran into issues when we had both ports up at the same time, so we turned it off. The x4 port is running on our cable line. Can you send sonicwall docs on how to set up fail-over and how to ping regularly? I figure sonicwall will have some good docs for that.

Even if we don't get the failover working, it'll be good to at least ping the fiber channel until we know its working consistently again.

Sometimes reseting the Optimum's router works, but sometimes it doesn't. It's been very sporadic and frustrating.

• cyber_monkeycyber_monkey Newbie ✭
    Also, I'm remembering now that there was some logs of packet loss when we would lose connection