Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

NSv VM backup in Azure

We have been struggling for many days looking for a solution that allows us to make backups of the NSv VMs in Azure. So far our efforts have not been successful. It seems like there is a problem (not documented by SonicWall yet) when Azure reaches out to the VMs with its backup logic asking to create a snapshot. Does anyone have an idea about this particular issue?

Category: Virtual Firewall

Best Answer

Answers

• rkronenbergrkronenberg Newbie ✭

Hi,

I think its the same with vmware-based virtual appliances:

no snapshot but backing up via ftp with the a built-in mechanism system-firmware&backups-settings

• Hello @305dc,

Yes, as mentioned by @rkronenberg the agent version is built into the NSv distribution and access to the underlying OS will not be allowed. So, the VM agent will not be allowed to communicate for snapshot status.

You can either perform cloud backups, FTP backups or local backups on NSv UI itself.

Thanks!

Shipra Sahu

Technical Support Advisor, Premier Services

• 305dc305dc Newbie ✭

@SHIPRASAHU93 @RKRONENBERG

So it means that a VM behaves like a physical standalone appliance when thinking about a disaster recovery scenario. Let's say it this way: Azure won't take a backup of the VM, the same way you can't take a backup of your appliance. On both cases you can only take backups of the running configuration. Better yet: if something happens with your VM in Azure, you should re-deploy the VM then apply the backed up configuration.

Am I right?

If so, that becomes a huge limitation when designing solutions for Azure where the NSv is involved.

• This is a problem and needs resolution. We just ran into an issue where Azure broke the VM. This took multiple hours to restore where is should have been 30 minutes or less. The downtime and the effort required was unacceptable and I am re-thinking using SonicWALL with our Azure infrastructures.

After re-creating a SonicWALL VM with the marketplace image, we found the new images are the new NSv270 where we had an NSv200. The license no longer works.

Then we found the KB on how to build an older version of the VM. After 3 tries and 3 failures, we called SonicWALL support. It took another hour to get a call back but the tech was great and helpful.

It took another 3 hours, about 7 total, to get the SonicWALL working again. this could have been a lot easier if we could restore from backup.

• I have been taking snapshots of the Disk in Azure (Not the VM), haven't tested swapping a snapshot to the VM yet though.....

• PumaPuma Newbie ✭

Hi all, is this problem solved in 2023?

I need to backup 2 nsv270 of a customer and I received a failure message:

ExtensionOperationFailedForManagedDisks

• steveLsteveL Newbie ✭

Following up on PUMA's question - I'm looking to get a backup of this VM - has this issue been resolved?

Same error on Azure Backup:L ExtensionOperationFailedForManagedDisks