Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

NSA 2600 entered Safe Mode while upgrading OS to v. 6.5.4.12-101n

On an NSA 2600 firewall I had an issue while upgrading SonicOS from v. 6.5.4.11-97n to v. 6.5.4.12-101n.

I uploaded new firmware sw_nsa-2600__eng_6.5.4.12-101n.sig via GUI and initiated "Boot uploaded firmware - with current configuration" but the firewall didn't booted successfully even after 30 minutes. I had to go to the server room and I found the TEST light blinking slowly on the appliance (0.5 seconds on, 0.5 seconds off) which indicates it is running in Safe Mode.

Then I hard reset the appliance with power off/on and it booted successfully with the new firmware.

I upgraded SonicOS on that appliance many times and it never entered Safe Mode after upgrade.

So, has anyone else encountered such issue while upgrading to v. 6.5.4.12-101n?

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Not specific to that FW version but I've run into this a few times on Gen6 devices. It's been a few years since the last time I ran into it. I've made it procedure to reboot any firewalls prior to doing a firmware update, it seems to have cleared up any booting into safe mode during a FW upgrade.