Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Access SonicWALL TZ300 from WAN using DynDNS

Hi guys,

I have a Question, can I access SonicWALL from WAN using DynDNS name and enabling HTTPS from WAN interface, Suppose the Public IP of SW is 15.18.172.10/24 and I do wanna access from My home network so can it done by using Dyn.com account.

Thanks

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• MustafaAMustafaA SonicWall Employee

@Faysal , certainly you can do that. The following Dynamic DNS services are available on firewalls.

• FaysalFaysal Newbie ✭

Dear Sir,

I hope you are having a great day.

These Services work with SSLVPN if I am right but what I'm looking for is management access of SonicWALL from the Browser using DynDNS name instead of IP address.

Thanks

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Faysal when you enable HTTPS Management on your WAN Interface and have a DynDNS Service enabled for that interface it can be accessed from the Internet. If your SNWL is behind a router it probably needs some form of Port forwarding to the Firewall.

If you follow best practice and restrict who can access your Management Interface you should create an Address Group and put Address Objects from allowed external IP addresses in there. This can be FQDN objects as well, e.g. your Home Router is registering with a DynDNS service itself. This address group must be configured as Source in the WAN-WAN Rules for Management.

Same goes for SNMP and SSH.

--Michael@BWC

• FaysalFaysal Newbie ✭

Dear Sir,

@BWC About the point that you mentioned SNWL is actually behind a Router and let's say that the WAN IP of SNWL is private in 192.16.X.X/24 range and it has an uplink to a ISP router. So I have to Enable HTTPS Management and DynDNS Service for that interface then configure Port Forwarding to the Firewall.

Thanks

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Faysal that's correct, you need to forward all incoming requests from your Router to the Firewall, otherwise it'll not work. You need to do this for any port which should be accessible from the Internet.

Just make sure to enable "Let the DDNS provider detect the IP Address." on the Advanced settings tab of the DynDNS, but IMHO this is default anyways.

--Michael@BWC