Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Changeip "Network Error"... Anyone?

Greetings. Newbie here.

Been using Changeip.com DDNS on my TZ300/400 devices for quite some time and suddenly it’s no longer updating since last week.

Status shown (network error) on the DDNS page and I have absolutely no clue how to fix this.

Is anyone suffering from the same issue?

BTW, I’m using the latest firmware available.

Thx in advance for any help. :)
Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• MustafaAMustafaA SonicWall Employee

Hey @Wallpaper , I was able to reproduce this issue and have taken this to our engineering team's attention. Looks like something has changed on the changeip.com side, which is causing this "network error".

• RedlanceRedlance Newbie ✭

I'm having the exact same error. We use ChangeIP on multiple Sonicwall devices. The 2 that I checked today are TZ370 and NSA 2600. We rely heavily on these for site to site VPN's as well as remote SSLVPN access so a quick resolution would be greatly appreciated!

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Redlance if it's an issue which needs to be fixed on Firmware level I would'nt hold my breath for a quick solution and rather install a DDNS client in the LAN to update the DNS record if that is possible.

--Michael@BWC

• Simon_WeelSimon_Weel Enthusiast ✭✭

Same problem here. There's a message on the ChangeIP site, march 16:

"Dear ChangeIP DDNS Clients, 

Please accept our apologies if you are experiencing any disruptions with your DDNS service.

As we stated in the August announcement last year, we recently moved some of our servers which resulted in new IP addresses being assigned.

If you are having problems with your DDNS service, please check your configuration settings and make sure you are using either

api.changeip.com

nic.changeip.com

instead of the corresponding IP addresses.

Since we are continually improving our services, we can not guarantee this will not change again in the future.

So we are advising you to use our dns hostnames instead of our IP addresses to avoid this.

Thank you,

ChangeIP Operations"

Maybe that's the problem?

@Simon_Weel sounds reasonable, you might be able to verify if you do a packet monitor to figure out what the appliance is trying to contact to, but this would be probably only academic and does not resolve the situation.

You need to open a ticket for this to have it documented and maybe get a hotfix firmware in advance.

--Michael@BWC

The issue has been identified and our engineering team is working on the hotfix build. I believe there has been a domain name change for the API calls.

@MustafaA okay, we wait for the fix. Is there a work-around for the time being?

@Simon_Weel , from the firewall config perspective, there is not work-around. As @BWC suggested, as a work-around you can install the changeip.com client application on a computer that is behind the firewall, to have the public IP of the DDNS record updated.

• AMTSAMTS Newbie ✭

Why wouldn't they coordinate this change with Sonicwall and other vendors BEFORE making this change so it doesn't wreck our world? No-IP.com it is!

• SR1500SR1500 Newbie ✭

Same issue - any update ?

ETA on the hotfix?

@SR1500 , we have hotfixes available for both Gen6 and Gen7 firewalls. Please create a web case and reference GEN6-3898 or GEN7-39385 depending on which generation your firewall is.

• drandredrandre Newbie ✭

Same issue with ChangeIP.com network error.

Status indicates, "(Network error) as of 05/22/2023 08:47:30."

Device: TZ-300

Using latest firmware: SonicOS Enhanced 6.5.4.12-101n

Any updates or recommendations to fix?

Please create a web case and reference GEN6-3898 so that we can share the HF build firmware, which has the fix for this issue.

Updated the TZ470 to firmware version SonicOS 7.0.1-5119 and it's fixed.

For Gen7 firewalls this issue (GEN7-39385) is included in the Maintenance Release 7.0.1-5119 (Ref. Release Notes Page 6).

• RaptorRaptor Newbie ✭

Is there an expected MR to fix this for the TZ350?

@Raptor , the fix for Gen6 firmware (Issue: GEN6-3898) is expected to be included in the next Maintenance Release (SonicOS 6.5.4.13).

If needed, we can provide the HF build baselined on 6.5.4.12-101n MR for the issue GEN6-3898. A request via a web case would be ideal for this.

• RaptorRaptor Newbie ✭

Great. Thank you for the quick response!

• Just an Idea, that I have seen on many other vendors. Is it posible, to make a custom query?

just like

customfield: https://api.privatedyndns.srv/?u=abc&p=123&h=def.gov

Bound to: Any | X1 | Xn | U0

Yes, I know you have to program into the firmware, but that would help some people a lot.

@Alexander_Bertol , what is the objective and requirement?

• In this way you can address other DYNDNS servers or your own DYNDNS server. Or if the API changes from changeip, dyn.com or NO-IP, you can quickly fix it yourself.

Which firewall vendors have that feature, @Alexander_Bertol ?

@Wallpaper Firmware SonicOS 6.5.4.13 is available now which should fix your issue.

--Michael@BWC

Ref. Firmware 6.5.4.13-105n Release Notes, Page-2