Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

TZ570 answering on WAN gateway address

Our ISP (Spectrum Cable) assigned us 5 usable static IP addresses (.10 thru .14) plus the gateway address (.9). The firewall WAN settings are correct -- interface X1 has the the third usable address (.12) as its static ip, default gateway is correct (.9).

From a LAN device, whatsmyip.net shows the external ip is the gateway address (.9) instead of the .12 address configured in the firewall. We have VOIP phones and the phone vendor is not happy because he sees traffic coming in from the .9 instead of the .12, which he had opened up for us.

My question is, how and why is this happening?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• JorabiJorabi Newbie ✭
    edited March 2023

@Arkwright Will do. Thanks

Typo in subject: TZ270

• MitatOngeMitatOnge All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jorabi

It seems modem issue. You should check the modem mode? Routin or nat Mode?

your service provider should change the modem mode if it possible you can set "bridge mode" on the modem settings and change X1 interface static to bridge mode.

what is your connection type on modem from ISP.

best regards.

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Just re-read your first post. If general internet access is working for you at all, then this must be the upstream doing NAT.

If you had misconfigured your firewall to use the IP of your default gateway as its source IP, then the replies would never get back to you and nothing would work at all - your attempt to browse whatsmyip.net would simply time out rather than showing the wrong IP.

• JorabiJorabi Newbie ✭
    edited March 2023

@Arkwright Wow, you are up early (assuming you are in the US)!

General internet access is working fine. I wouldn't expect this either. And if I connect a consumer grade Netgear router to the same incoming cable modem and set it's WAN address to a static IP of xx.xx.xx.10 (the first usable) and the gateway to xx.xx.xx.9, it works fine. Outsiders see devices on this router connected to the .10 address. I can go to a site like whatsmyip and see it's .10. This is why I thought it had to be a Sonicwall config problem.

Unfortunately, there are politics involved. Briefly, I am responsible for the building's connectivity but the tenant is responsible for their LAN and had an integrator install the Sonicwall, switches, access points, etc. I am not allowed to touch their equipment; only the integrator can. My only job was to tell them to use xx.xx.xx.12 as their router ip and gateway as xx.xx.xx.9.*

The integrator insists that he configured it correctly and he is done. He sent me the attached screenshot to prove it. Having never worked with a Sonicwall myself, and not having full confidence in his abilities, I'm trying to do some side research to find out if there is another place other than this screen that he has to change, or some other toggle that could cause this.

Thank you. I apologize for the long-winded response but I don't want to leave anything out.

* The "why" of all this - everything was working fine. Then Spectrum changed our static ip range and I called the integrator to come in and change their Sonicwall to match. I thought he could just come in and change two ip's and be done, but that is when the problem started and the fingerpointing began. I don't want to tell him to do a factory reset because he would have to start from scratch, and his client doesn't even care because the internet is working. Bad situation.

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

NAT policies, specifically the translated source IP.

But like I said, the only way I can see this "working" like this would be if the NAT is being done upstream of the firewall. If you are sending out packets with a source IP of your default gateway, I can't see how you will ever get the replies. Maybe someone else can chip in here with an explanation, I can't think of one.