Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

firewall setup

Hi Everyone, I am new to firewalls and networking, i Came across one scenario that i have internet connection that connect to sonicwall firewall. The scenario is that my LAN include desktop/laptop and cloud key with 4 APS. My question is that internet goes to firewall than switch. Do i need to config dhcp on firewall for both my desktop/laptop and cloud key and APS. Please advise best solution that how can i procced with it

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

You will need something handing out DHCP addresses. Which device you choose is up to you. The Sonicwall can easily be your DHCP server.

• ksharma2ksharma2 Newbie ✭
    I can config dhcp for desktop/ client on sonicwall firewall but I’m confuse about cloud key and APs. Do I need to created separate Ethernet and create vlan and also create vlan on switch and assign ports to that vlan only for cloud key and APS
  • ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

If you've created SSIDs in Unifi with VLANs, then whatever the APs are plugged in to needs those VLANs on too. The Sonicwall would need VLAN subinterface(s) to serve those networks.

There are different ways to accomplish your goal. First, what is your goal? What is your current Sonicwall configuration? What is your current switch configuration?

• ksharma2ksharma2 Newbie ✭

Currently i did not config anything and i am getting ideas here. Like how i can start. This setup is for small office where we plan 40 computers and 4 APS. so how would I proceed it

You start by identifying the needs of your customer. Once you have the customers needs you can begin planning your network and the work to be done. Once you have a plan, you can specify your hardware and software requirements. Once you have requirements you can identify equipment that suits your needs. Once you identify equipment you can obtain said equipment. Once you have obtained the equipment you can implement and test the configurations identified in the plan and statement of work. Once you have configured and tested the equipment you can install it.

If you have a specific question you will get a specific answer...