Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Monitoring /Management Issue

On our sonicwall , we have a management vlan /interface

Unable to ping the Management interface or firewall (Gateway for the internal switches) - Fixed this by selecting the "Enable Management" option on the associated allow rule

When this was done all the switches in the internal network appear to be down and we're unable to ping or ssh to them.

So I did a test and deselected "Enable Management"

The Switches now show up and accessible but the Management interface on the firewall now shows down and pings fail

The Firewall and switches are accessed via VPN

Has anyone come across anything similar?

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• Additional details

Traffic is from VPN -> X0:50

Vlan 50 is management vlan

Policy from VPN ; Source/Destination/Port = Any

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

I think you need two allow rules.

One allow rule for management of the firewall itself, destination = the firewall, allow management = ticked.

One allow rule for management of the devices on the network, destination = the subnet, allow management = unticked.

"Allow management" specifically refers to management of the firewall itself.

• Didn't think of that , Just a weird quirk on the firewall I guess - This just started to happen recently but I could try your suggestion as a workaround

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

I am pretty sure there was some change in behaviour between versions here.

IMO this is not a "workaround" - the management checkbox on access rules surely only means management of the firewall itself, and if it happened to allow other traffic previously, then that was a bug.