Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

What will the MSW developers think of next?

LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

CSR tells me to use MSW to upload 85 MB core dump file directly to the case.

OK, sounds good - until I try to do it.

The core dump file name:

2023-03-11_06-49-35_sonicosv_16159_tz670_7.0.1-5111-R4251.core.zst.gpg

Attempt to upload and MSW responds with:

Sorry, file name is more than 50 characters. Please rename the file.

How is it the developers of MSW didn't anticipate - or recognize - the actual core dump file name size when they built the dialog?

And if I rename it, how it is going to reflect the specific information related to the core dump?

Left hand - right hand.

Boundless, indeed!

Category: MySonicWall

Comments

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Yes, this one really irritates me. Seems ludicrously short-sighted. It's not just that the firewall will generate names over this limit, also it will generate names close to the limit and by the time I add [say] the device name to the file, it's too long. Sure, we can upload files that are hundreds of MB, but can't spare a few bytes for the filename? What is going on???

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the backend is still an old IBM mainframe...

"What is going on???"

Agile development / DevOPs / whatever buzzword you want to use for a complete lack of forethought when managing projects.

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Actually, the back-end of the Support Cases is in SalesForce. It's only the absolutely awful front-end in MSW that's a total mess.

• MustafaAMustafaA SonicWall Employee

@Lark , @TKWITS , @Arkwright , thanks for bringing up this concern. I've shared this file name limitation with our Product Management team, to be reviewed.