Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Trying to change a Zone from Public to trusted

I have a zone that is currently Public and there are objects and rules assigned to that zone. I need to re-assign the zone Security Type to Trusted. Is this possible. Each time I try I get an error "Zone Used by Interface Can't Change Type." Any ideas on how to make it from Public to trusted?

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• MustafaAMustafaA SonicWall Employee

@Ron_DDC , you have to first unassign the interface which is configured for that zone. If there is any associated Access Rules etc. you may need to delete those also. You should be able to see the error message, if any. Secondly, then you can change the zone type and configure the same interface for that newly changed zone.

• Ron_DDCRon_DDC Newbie ✭

I understand that but I do have access rules and objects assigned to that interface/zone. As you see in the attachments the zone is set to public and I have been having issues that I think re-assigning it to trusted would benefit the move.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Ron_DDC your request got me curious and I had the chance to play with it a little on a fresh appliance.

Indeed you cannot change the Zone type when assigned to an Interface, but when you set the Interface assigned to the Zone in question to "Unassigned" you're able to change the type.

But only under the caveat that you did not created Access Rule assigned to a specific Interface, this will prohibit the type change to the Zone, which I'am not clear that you do because you mentioned interface/zone.

IMHO there is no real reason to prohibit this kind of change, maybe SNWL does not want to struggle with the auto generated rules (which I always disable for all zones).

--Michael@BWC