Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SMA 500v domain user authentication

Hi,

Is there any guidance on creating Domains (Active Directory) for the Sonicwall SMA 500v, specifically the user used to communicate with AD? What permissions does this user require?

the admin guide just says:

Enter the Active Directory domain name in the Active Directory domain field.

4 Enter the IP address or host and domain name of the Active Directory server in the Server address field.

5 Enter the IP address or host and domain name of the back up server in the Backup Server address field.

6 Enter the user name for login in the Login user name field.

7 Enter the password for login in the Login password field.

which is not helpful at all

Would a read only account for AD suffice?

thanks

Category: Secure Mobile Access Appliances

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@stevmorr I couldn't find any official information right away, I did a check for you and authentication with a vanilla domain user was working fine, no special rights needed.

--Michael@BWC

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@stevmorr AD integration is IMHO straight forward. Read-only AD user might be sufficient for that, unless you're allowing password changes, not sure if this requires more rights, never used it.

Is the test not working?

--Michael@BWC

• stevmorrstevmorr Newbie ✭

Hi,

I already have this running/working in a production environment however I think the account we are using has too many privileges so trying to minimise what is in use. This has been highlighted in a security review but have struggled to find any official information on the subject.

thanks

• stevmorrstevmorr Newbie ✭

thank you for testing.