Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Unknown Ether type ingress

ChamilChamil Newbie ✭
edited January 2023 in Firewall Security Services

what is the reason for "Unknown Ether type ingress" error code ?

Category: Firewall Security Services
Tagged:

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Chamil about Ethertype 0x8ffd, I did not found any information, you should ask the vendor of the device with the related MAC address what it is about. Known Ethertypes I looked at:

About the 2nd Screenshot, it seems that you're receiving VLAN 100 tagged packets on your X0. Check your Network Interface and Switch configuration for that port. If X0 does not have a sub interface :V100 then make sure your switch is not polluting the port with tagged packets.

--Michael@BWC

• Simon_WeelSimon_Weel Enthusiast ✭✭

Ethertype 0x8ffd seems to be related to Aruba network devices - it pops up in a Wireshark script.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Simon_Weel nice catch, @Chamil are you using any Aruba Instant On devices?

--Michael@BWC

• LEE_S2022LEE_S2022 Newbie ✭

Hi,

I've the same issue, message "DROPPED, Drop Code: 17(Unknown Ether type ingress."

At packet monitor, shown:

*Packet number: 3*
    Header Values:
     Bytes captured: 60, Actual Bytes on the wire: 60
    Packet Info(Time:10/05/2023 15:54:23.944):
     in:X11*(interface), out:--, DROPPED, Drop Code: 17(Unknown Ether type ingress.), Module Id: 16(fwCore), (Ref.Id: _3057_joqvuIppl), 5:5)
    Ethernet Header
     Ether Type: 0x88b7(0x88b7), Src=[8c:85:c1:xx:xx:13], Dst=[09:00:09:xx:xx:a6]
    Ethernet Type: Unknown

"Ethernet II, Src: ArubaaHe_xx:xx:13 Dst: HewlettP_xx:xx:a6".

Any solution please advise.

• Twizz728Twizz728 Newbie ✭

@LEE_S2022 I'm curious about this myself. I have a VPN gateway that is connecting my site to a vendors site and now the vendor site is failing connection requests. I can't ping the vendor site and when I look through the packet monitor I'm seeing packets being dropped with the error code similar to yours.

Ethernet Header

Ether Type: 0x8ffd(0x8ffd), Src=[b8:37:b2:c4:97:ac], Dst=[ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff]

Ethernet Type: Unknown

Value:[0]

DROPPED, Drop Code: 17(Unknown Ether type ingress.), Module Id: 16(fwCore), (Ref.Id: _3085_kprwvJqqm) 1:1)