Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SMA 500v and Terminal Server farm load balancing

I'm using an SMA 500v with RDP bookmarks with a Terminal Server farm, and I'm having issues with load balancing.

Sometimes it works fine (if it doesn't get a redirection), but if there is a redirection required, then more often than not it sits at the Configuring remote session screen until it just times out saying the host didn't respond. The log on the SMA side simply shows the RDP Native Bookmark selected.

Any suggestions/advice?

I have the settings as follows:

Server is TS Farm: enabled

Load Balance Info: tsv://MS Terminal Services Plugin.1.CollectionName

The event log entries on the broker all appear correct, and I can see the initial request, and where it is redirected.

Here's a sample of the event log entries for the connection request:

(data has been sanitized; SERVER-RDB01 is the broker server, and SERVER-RDS01/02 are session hosts)

Remote Desktop Connection Broker Client received request for redirection. 

User : DOMAIN\myuser 

RDP Client Version : 3

RD Connection Broker received connection request for user DOMAIN\myuser. 

Hints in the RDP file (TSV URL) = tsv://MS Terminal Services Plugin.1.CollectionName 

Initial Application = NULL 

Call came from Redirector Server = SERVER-RDB01.DOMAIN.local 

Redirector is configured as Virtual machine redirector

RD Connection Broker successfully processed the connection request for user DOMAIN\myuser. Redirection info: 

Target Name = SERVER-RDS01 

Target IP Address = nnn.nnn.nnn.1 

Target Netbios = SERVER-RDS01 

Target FQDN = SERVER-RDS01.DOMAIN.local 

Disconnected Session Found = 0x0

Hints in the RDP file (TSV URL) = tsv://MS Terminal Services Plugin.1.CollectionName 

Initial Application = NULL 

Call came from Redirector Server = SERVER-RDB01.DOMAIN.local 

Redirector is configured as Virtual machine redirector

Initial Application = ||publishedappalias

Call came from Redirector Server = SERVER-RDS01.DOMAIN.local 

Redirector is configured as Farm member

RD Connection Broker successfully processed the connection request for user DOMAIN\myuser. Redirection info: 

Target Name = SERVER-RDS02 

Target IP Address = nnn.nnn.nnn.2 

Target Netbios = SERVER-RDS02 

Target FQDN = SERVER-RDS02.DOMAIN.local 

Disconnected Session Found = 0x0

Category: Secure Mobile Access Appliances

Answers

• cboesecboese Newbie ✭

Did you happen to get this working? I have a similar setup. We have a VDI session setup with 5 Windows 10 machines. When I try to use the Load Balance to redirect will not work.

• creschcresch Newbie ✭

Not yet...I have an active case open with SonicWALL support. So far, their initial response is that my server farm is setup incorrectly...yet it seems to work fine for native RDWeb support (just not via SMA).

• creschcresch Newbie ✭

So far, I have been able to get it to work with the html5 client only, but not the native. (And the html5 client has its own issues/limitations).

• creschcresch Newbie ✭

Just to save everyone else from having to fight the same issues only to come up empty. Included support response below, but basically if you want to use the TS farm, you either need to:

• 1. use the HTML5 RDP bookmark instead of native
    • 2. Use a NetExtender connection (even if just restricted to the IPs for the broker/session hosts) and then the native client.

In our case, neither of these are a feasible solution, so we ended up creating a separate collection just for the SMA users (with just a single host enabled). Certainly not ideal, but for our use case it's much preferable to dealing with NetExtender issues or the issues with the HTML5 (strangest and most impactful of which for our use case is that the numeric keypad built into laptops (e.g. the full keyboard with 10-key) doesn't work via HTML. The #s at the top of the keyboard work fine, but not those on a numeric keypad.

-----

I have update from our Dev Team 

Native RDP bookmark cannot work well with TS Farm, on the current architecture may work for first redirection.

Workarounds:

HTML5 RDP bookmark

NX/MC Tunnel

So, at this point use the work arounds due to conflict in architecture from Microsoft to Sonicwall