Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

NSA 2650: Sonicwall high CPU utilization and Latency in LAN

Sam168Sam168 Newbie ✭
edited December 2022 in Firewall Security Services

Hi everyone,

We are using SonicWALL to route traffic between VLANs but there is major latency and delay in all VLANs. What could be the problem?

Could it be related to the old version of the OS as we are using SonicOS Enhanced 6.5.1.3-12n and the CPU utilization is already very high and sometimes hits 100%? How can we obtain the latest update and could it help solve this issue for good?

Category: Firewall Security Services

Answers

• MitatOngeMitatOnge All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,
    Could you share CPU graphics and task details on diagnostic menu?
  • ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

You haven't said what kind of throughput you're expecting.

You can improve throughput by disabling security features.

On some models there are interfaces with dedicated connection to CPU rather than going through switch chip. Using those interfaces would [presumably] give the best performance, but I haven't tested this myself.

Note that in the specs they say

Testing done with multiple flows through multiple port pairs

so if you are using your firewall as a router-on-a-stick to route between VLANs through a single physical interface then presumably you won't be going as fast as the spec sheets suggest. Again, not something I have done a comparative test on, BUT why would they note this in the spec if it wasn't true? :)

Firmware updates come from mysonicwall.com. Is the firewall registered under your account, or somebody else's? Difficult to say whether updating firmware would improve performance, but performance isn't the only reason to keep firmware up to date.