Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

How to de-register old TZ300 SonicWall

Hi,

Previous vendor who installed it has been gone from many years and now when I reset that TZ300 and wanted to register, there is info that serial number is already registered.

I dindt find any useful info how to resolve this issue.

Regards

Bobby D

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@BobbyD - interesting that you say that.

SonicWall has known, for years, that devices are set up and left at customer sites without any further maintenance (or guidance), thus becoming orphans. Their only known strategy is to routinely go through the master Serial Number list and reach out to partners and customers asking to confirm their segment of the list in the hopes of getting a response.

"Oh, yeah, that box in the corner (or closet, or shelf) with the blinking lights. Don't know what it is, but if it is working, then I guess that's good, right?" And with that kind of response, Sales swoops in to try to take the new lead or pass it along to an appropriate partner.

The upside is the hoped for eventual retirement of all Gen 5 and Gen 6 devices. Though I'm sure if you asked an inside sales rep, they'd probably confirm it is still an uphill slog.

Answers

• sohandsohand Newbie ✭

youll need to contact Sonicwall support and get it in writing from the owner of the device that they want to switch the management of it to yourselves

• BobbyDBobbyD Newbie ✭

Hi Larrt,

From the FAQ link there is no answer what to do in case, if there is no contact with "current registered owner" like in my case - a company who closed their business couple years ago.

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@BobbyD , actually it does:

If you do not know the current registered owner, SonicWall will make two (2) attempts to contact the registered owner to consent to a transfer. If those attempts are unsuccessful, to protect the security and privacy of our customers and their networks, you will have to work with the person or entity from whom you acquired the device.

CAUTION: Customer Service will NOT be able to transfer a device under any of the following conditions:

If the device is associated with another device or service in MySonicWall.com, OR The current registered owner does not give written permission to transfer, OR The current registered owner does not give written permission to transfer, OR The device is End of Support

Bottom line: You are, most likely (unless you get a CSR with the holiday spirit), SOL.

Active Retirement for this model started one year ago, and it will be out of service in another two.

You didn't state what you intend to do with the device. At best, it will function without registration, but without any security services or firmware updates.

• BobbyDBobbyD Newbie ✭

Hi,

That old TZ300 is supposed to be quick-temporary solution for one of our vendor's remote access. No more then 6 moths, so device's retirement period is not a problem. Lack of possibility to upgrade its firmware is the problem however.

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@BobbyD I doubt you could plead your case to the SonicWall Customer Support Representative to see if they would be willing to give you a link to the latest firmware. That's because if you don't "own" the device, you don't get to service it.

You should have obtained access to the device when you had the opportunity. Although I'm sure I'm not telling you something you don't already know. Please keep it in mind for the future.

• BobbyDBobbyD Newbie ✭

Hi Larry,

Yes, I didnt have that opportunity since I came to the company last year, met my predecessor 1 day. And later on realized there is no documentation. No knowledge transfer, no handover. Obsolete hardware left powered on, but not networked.

Looks that SonicWall Customer Support dont foreseen that kind of situation :)