Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Stand Alone Switch DHCP ip helper

I have a stand alone switch that we're using for Layer 2 access switches. We can get a DHCP relay added to it and requests will reach the DHCP server IF we create an IP for the VLAN on the network screen of the switch. However if we DON'T create a network IP for a given vlan then the DHCP request never appears to make it to the DHCP server. Is there the idea of an ip helper within the stand alone configuration of the switch and if yes how does one configure it?

Category: Switches

Answers

• Mr_KlaatuMr_Klaatu SonicWall Employee

@SwitchDriver If I understood your question correctly, if the switch is configured as the DHCP Relay device then, it needs the Interface IP to populate the GIADDR field (Gateway IP Address) of the Clients DHCP Discover/Request adding the IP address of the DHCP relay agent (here the switches VLAN IP) that DHCP packets passes through. This is needed for the receiving DHCP server to determine the network segment in which the client resides and then pick the correct DHCP IP Pool to allocate an IP address to the Client in the respective network segment. Let me know if this answers your question.