Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Gen7 rules export to CSV

ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

What are people's experiences with this? I have tried this on three firewalls to export all the rules to CSV, and only on one can I get the count of rules in the GUI to tally with what gets exported to CSV.

Also it seems like it will only export the rules to CSV that you have scrolled to, which is seriously misleading! ie, go to the rules view, export, you get 55 rules. Scroll all the way to the bottom, export and you will get something close to the "Displaying" figure in the bottom right corner. But not the bigger number though, which is another mystery.

Sticking with CLI export for now when somebody says their auditor needs a list, because I simply cannot explain the CSV export behaviour and it would seem unwise to rely on it for audit purposes.

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Arkwright yup, Export is not usable when not completely displayed in the Browser before. Count of exported Rules seems to be okay.

--Michael@BWC

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Hmm, sounds familiar, because I had that kind of problem exporting data from NSM.

I'm inclined to believe that it is the same base code with a similar lack of proper functionality.

And even if I'm wrong and it is completely different code, it is shocking that:

• a) this was not on someone's list to test.
    • b) it was on someone's list to test, and despite failing, made it to production.
    • c) it is going to take a number of partners to open cases about how this doesn't function as expected (never mind designed).

But by all means, let's keep on flying that plane while someone puts duct tape on the wings...