Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

iOS 16.1 - Mail App crashes in Junk Box Summary

BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi,

after having no fun with Mobile Connect SSL-VPN and iOS 16.1, I was wondering why the Mail App is crashing so often with this new Release, never happened before.

It's because of the Junk Box Summy mail sent by the Email Security Appliance. It's reproducable, open the Junk Box Summary, go back to the Inbox, open the same Junk Box Summary again, go back to the Inbox and crash. Sometimes the App crashes on the first iteration, but usually it needs this back and forth.

This happens only with the Junk Report, no other Email causes this. It also did not happened before iOS 16.1, so I don't blame the Junk Report.

FYI, just in case some experiences the same.

--Michael@BWC

Category: Email Security Appliances

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Quick follow up on this, despite nobody cares. If I leave the blank junk report mail open in Apple Mail, it appears after around 45 seconds without interaction. For further investigation I exported the mail as EML and I'am able to reproduce this over and over again.

I tinkered with the mail body and it all comes down to the embedded link in the html part. Disabling this line in the mail content will make the mail rendered immediately but leave some images invisible.

<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://ESA-HOSTNAME/scripts/css/SWL.junkbox.summary.css?rand=3xxxxxxxxxxxxxx3" type="text/css">

This got me thinking because fetching the CSS with curl was possible without delay it must be something related to Apple Mail only, like on iOS.

Long story short, it was caused by this setting in Apple mail:

The Option "Hide IP Address" was enabled by default, after unchecking it, the Junk Report is shown immediately again.

Maybe this is helpful for any Apple user out there.

--Michael@BWC

Answers

• David WDavid W SonicWall Employee

BWC, it is due to the Mobile connect app itself.

There is a new version coming out for it soon.

David Wilbur

Technical Support Senior Advisor, Premier Services , SME Email Security

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

@David W in my case this was not related to Mobile Connect, because it happened when connected via WiFi at the Office or via WiFi at Home connected through a IPsec Site-to-Site Tunnel. My comment about MC was related to iOS 16.1 in general, sorry for the confusion.

It did not happened since iOS 16.1.1, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

--Michael@BWC

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Funny update, after updating my Mac from Big Sur (11.7) to Ventura (13.1) the junk reports are not getting rendered anymore in Mail for most of the time, the same what happened on iOS, except the crashes. It seems that some changes from Apple in WebKit etc. do not play well with the Reports.

After some back and forth is shown properly, but that's somewhat annoying.

--Michael@BWC

• GailandGailand SonicWall Employee

Hi Micheal,

We are expecting a new version to come out soon. We are updating the jsquery to the current one. Once this has been done, Apple may stop having issues with the links and such. I do not know exactly when, but the release should be fairly soon.