Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Modern Connect Tunnel - is there a programmatic / API way to get connection status?

We have issues with Modern Connect Tunnel not always reconnecting after a Windows 10 laptop resumes from sleep/hibernation. Sometimes it comes back up but only in "Device" mode and limited connectivity. You can force it to reconnect by killing the user SNWLConnect.exe process, but there is no connect/disconnect/reconnnect button in the client.

I

would like to know if there is a way to programmatically monitor the connection status via script, etc. I would like to be able to tell disconnected, device vpn connection, user vpn connection, etc. Is there an API or reliable way to query this information?

I

am also considering testing out the new 12.4.2 "Network Logon" function to see if it is more reliable resuming from sleep than the device/user vpn mode. I think the old NetExtender "always on" mode was more reliable about resuming.

Configuring Network Logon for Modern Connect Tunnel Client | SonicWall

Category: VPN Client

Answers

• NatNat Newbie

Do you mean API on client itself or SMA appliance?

PC client , you can just check the UI.

For SMA, it support REST API.

Append /Console/Help to AMC and you will find.

• I am interested in the checking status on the client.

My end users are not always good at checking the UI, and the Client UI does not behave properly in cases where it has not re-connected automatically following sleep/hibernation. The UI shows the Device VPN is connected, but there is no option to disconnect/connect/etc to get the User VPN connected.

I am working in a lab environment to try to consistently recreate the issue and when I can I will open a service request.

• NatNat Newbie

With device VPN only, UI should show connect button for user VPN. Yes, it looks like a bug so you can reach sonicwall to fix.