Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Can I take backups of my entire fleet via the NSM?

I was following this guide here: Network Security Management Administration Guide - Backups - SonicWall

and found that I can only add 5 firewalls to the scheduled backups. I want to be able to take backups of our firewalls via the NSM and store them on the NSM, but the steps listed above dont have the option to select the groups I have created, nor can I select more than 5 firewalls (when we have over 100 firewalls in our NSM).

Can I take backups of my entire fleet via the NSM or should I be taking a different approach? I really don't want to have 25+ backup schedules because the system limits us to 5 firewalls per schedule. I also would want this to automatically add devices to the backup schedule so we don't forget to run backups after we add them to the NSM.

Any input would be greatly appreciated 😅

Category: Network Security Manager
Tagged:

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    MartinB123MartinB123 Newbie ✭
    Answer ✓

Circling back on this, it ended up being an issue with the version of the NSM I was using. I updated to the most recent version of the NSM onprem and I can now just have one backup schedule with many firewalls (not sure on true limit) added directly to it.

Answers

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

According to the Release Notes - back in January 2022, 2.3.3 - they wrote:

Device Management for Backup: When creating a backup schedule, NSM allows to select all the devices in the inventory for backup.

If you can only select five devices, do you get an error message at the sixth one or does the UI simply not let you select it?

Now, I understand that NSM allows you to create Device Groups; however, I do not know if they are dynamic. Meaning, would they automatically add a new device if it met your DG criteria.

And, given that you say you have more than 100 devices, I would think you'd want to use Device Groups to do the backups - but I honestly don't know if they appear in that list...

Anyone from the NSM group reading these posts anymore?

• MartinB123MartinB123 Newbie ✭

Hi @Larry

Thanks for the reply. The NSM gives me the message:

Regarding the device groups - my thought was to onboard firewall to the NSM, add the new firewall to the group, let's call it "Fully managed", and have the backup schedule run weekly backups on the group "Fully managed". However, for this, it seems I can only add devices, not groups to the backup schedule.

Either way, I would think I am not the only person to want to back up more than 5 devices on the same schedule without having to create a ton of backup schedules to contain all devices...

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@MartinB123 looks like you are going to have to open a Support Case for this (and not hold your breath for a quick solution).

Good luck, you're going to need it.