Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Access rules for communicating between different subnets

Hello all,

I'm trying to pass traffic from 1 subnet to another for backing up to a NAS drive. I've setup a rule from my 192 network to my 10 network. I can now ping the NAS but when I try to browse to the NAS's path it does not work. I'm guessing it's because my Windows machine is on the 192 network it doesn't know anything about my 10 network and this is why it's not working. Basically trying to do an off-site backup of a Windows machine.

Category: Mid Range Firewalls
Tagged:

Answers

• Thinking about it now.. I'm guessing I would need a second NIC on that machine with an IP of the 10 network I'm trying to access. Windows doesn't have any way of knowing how to get to that network I'm guessing.

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

How is your Sonicwall configured? Are both the 192.x.x.x and 10.x.x.x subnets controlled by the Sonicwall? You haven't provided us much information.

• Yes both subnets are configured on the Sonicwall. X0 is my 10 subnet and X5 is my 192 subnet.

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Think about what you are trying to accomplish and what obstacles may be in the way. Read up on Zones on Sonicwalls and look through your access rules. Run a packet capture.