Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

How to check scconsole_1.1.gz file?

How can I check the console log (scconsole_1.1.gz file) of the 7th generation product?

Even 7zip or gzip cannot decompress it.

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Fascinating!

This is a firewall that has been operating for about 1 year and 6 months.

Are you saying that this is the up-time - meaning, without a reboot - of this device?

If so, with the frequency of firmware updates, I don't think very many of us have run a device for as long a period of time without a reboot.

I'm totally guessing here. But it wouldn't surprise me if the compression utility built-in to this section of the OS is the same one that Support uses for their diagnostic files. And (as far as I know) they are the only ones with the ability to unzip them.

And, if so, fixing/changing it would require a request for enhancement...

But you could always open up a Support Case, send them the file, and ask them to unzip it (which would confirm my supposition).

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Jeong where did you found scconsole_1.1.gz? I see only scconsole_1 which is a text file when downloaded from Device / Settings / Storage / Files / Diagnostic Data.

--Michael@BWC

• VivekVivek SonicWall Employee

Hello @Jeong -

The Console Logs are usually part of the diagnostics files that are requested by support for troubleshooting on the firewall.

Console logs are extracted from the Internal Settings Page of the firewall , Please see the steps 6 and 7 from the article below:

The file itself is just compressed and you can uncompress ( its a .zip file ) it. Once done , you should be able to use a text editor such as notepad or notepad++ to read the file itself.

As @BWC posted on this thread, could you please give us the directions from where you downloaded your file ?

Also any .gz files from the firewall can be decrypted for reviews by Sonicwall Support & Engineering.

• JeongJeong Newbie ✭

@BWC @Vivek

Thanks for your reply.

This is a firewall that has been operating for about 1 year and 6 months.

When the file becomes a certain size, it seems to be compressed and stored.

I would like to know how to unzip this file.

This file cannot be decompressed even with Windows' compression program. (7zip, Bandi zip and Windows included zip program)

This file cannot be unpacked with Linux's tar or gunzip.

How can I unzip the file to view it?

The location of the file is listed in "Device > Settings > Storage > Files > Diagnostic Data".