Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SonicOS 7.0.1-5080 - Restart System vs. Restart SonicOS

BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi,

because there is no further information on that, but do anyone knows when it's sufficient to use the newly implemented "Restart SonicOS" Option in 7.0.1-5080?

"Restart System" is doing a full restart with booting the system from scratch, "Restart SonicOS" seems to do what the name suggests, restarting the Operating System without rebooting the System. A newly configured NSa 4700 needs around 330 Seconds for a "Restart System" and 80 Seconds for a "Restart SonicOS".

For example, when activating the AppFlow to the LocalCollector, the System would like to have a Restart. Is "Restart SonicOS" sufficient for that?

Time will tell what to use, but some official information would be good.

--Michael@BWC

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Answers

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@BW57 Michael, where - exactly - are you seeing these two options?

Because, despite what it says on this page https://www.sonicwall.com/support/technical-documentation/docs/sonicos-7-0-0-0-device_settings/Content/Topics/Firmware_Settings/restart-system.htm/ I've only got a Restart System button - but then I'm using a TZ270W...

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Larry maybe it's a NSa thing only, cannot see it on a TZ 270, but on a NSa 4700 it's right below the Restart System. Double checked the Release Notes.

--Michael@BWC

• It seems only available for high end models. (Start from NSa4700)

The core design is a bit differences between high end & low end products.

Like the previous SM9800 with multi chassis.

Maybe the the high end product is running like Linux kernel > docker container > SonicOS? So you can restart docker image without restart the whole system.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@Nat ja it looks that way that there is some kind of Virtual Machine etc. involved which make restarting the OS possible. Wasn't expecting that it starts with NSa 4700+, I thought the platform is somewhat the same for all.

So probably the rule of thumb is, if the Hardware does not freak out it's fine to Restart the OS only in case of trouble or configurations which require a reboot.

--Michael@BWC

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@Micah / @Ena - could someone please contact the folks in the Technical Documentation section and have them include some kind of differentiator? The linked page only shows one option when it is clear there are (at least) two flavors. Thanks!

• @BWC

If you plugin console & boot compare 3700 & 4700. You will find different processes ran during boot up.

High end products definitely have some "on top design" over SMB products.

• Done. And thank you for pointing this out. I'll update this thread when I have something.

Kind Regards.

@micah - SonicWall's Self-Service Sr. Manager