Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

View Access Policies in System Log

Hi All,

i setup a clean up rule at the end of my access polices and see loads of hits there.

Now i wanted to see what this is all about but even with the logging option enabled in the rule i cannot see the details on the system log tab? Do i miss something here?

thanks for enlighten me!

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓

@ArminF did you enabled the events in the Log Settings for being shown in the GUI?

Device -> Log -> Settings ... check for Category Network -> TCP (and UDP) and probably the Event TCP Packets Dropped have a very high Event Count ... to avoid flooding the log, these Events are not populated to the GUI, you have to enable them manually.

--Michael@BWC

Answers

• ArminFArminF Newbie ✭

Michael@BWC -> as usual SPOT ON!

I went to the Log settings before but was looking for access policy. Did not thought to look into TCP / UDP drop/deny etc...

But i had to raise the log level to Alert from notice to get it reflected.

Thought this log is more common and shows whats going on not focusing on warning/alert only.

thanks!

armin

• ArminFArminF Newbie ✭

@BWC

Michael, one more thing for my understanding.

Would i need a cleanup DENY ALL rule?

Or does no rule mean drop all / log all anyway?

thanks

armin

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@ArminF there is an implicit Drop All Rule for everything that is not handled and no additional Rule is necessary. This differs from you might know from iptables/netfilter based Firewalls or CheckPoint etc.

Like you did, I'am creating a Rule only in times where I need to do some sniffing/logging.

--MIchael@BWC