Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

WAN Bandwidth Management not working?

Our X2 (WAN) port is set in Advanced as Enable Interface Egress/Ingress Bandwidth Limitation as 100000.000000 for both. However, when we do a web based bandwidth speed test, we get 550 Mbps. I did not configure this NSa 3600 myself. I'm that person's replacement and I'm new with our company. I don't want to just go messing with settings at this time until I know more. I was checking into another issue when I stumbled across this. Doesn't make sense that I'm getting, what looks to be, over 5 times the set limit.

Category: High End Firewalls
Tagged:

Answers

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Yes, both checkmarks for Enable Interface Egress and Ingress Bandwidth Limitation are checked. This is on the X1 interface which is our WAN port. My understanding is, you set this to your maximum ISP's bandwidth. Ours is 500Mbps and that's what I'm getting when using a speedtest. Setting this lower than your maximum would be an mistake as it should limit bandwidth, no? Hence my question.

Other settings should be adjusted after this in advanced areas. They are also on but that's not my question.

Clearly you didn't read the documentation. Setting the interface bandwidth does NOT turn on bandwidth management. It is set on a different page in Gen 6.

There was no actual question in your original post.

"Setting this lower than your maximum would be an mistake as it should limit bandwidth, no?"

Define mistake. Say you have two firewalls connected to one internet circuit that provides multiple static IPs and 500 Mbps up/down bandwidth. If you don't want both firewalls to fight over that 500 Mbps, you would set both to 250 Mbps up/down so as to never interrupt the other.

To answer what I think you question is... Enabling bandwidth management and setting your WAN interface bandwidth lower than your ISPs rated speed would be illogical.

• Yes, this is what I've found and I agree about it being "illogical. However, I assumed that the settings I found on our WAN port would limit our bandwidth to 100Mbps but it's not. That's really my question. My apologies for any lack of clarity. As I show in the screenshots, We have and get 500Mbps but our WAN port is set only to 100Mbps in and out. I don't understand why we're getting 500Mbps if the WAN port is limited to 100Mbps.

"I don't understand why we're getting 500Mbps if the WAN port is limited to 100Mbps."

As I've stated before, the interface bandwidth being set DOES NOT mean Bandwidth Management is enabled. Don't forget about interface auto-negotiation... You're likely auto-negotiating to 1 Gbps.

Read the articles and understand the settings. Perform tests.