Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Blocking All Uploads

Has anyone used a SonicWALL to successfully block users from uploading files to all websites? I setup rules based on the article below, but I'm still able to upload files to services such as Gmail and Outlook.com.

Is this an impossible task?

Thanks,

David

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭
    Answer ✓

@tubadave17 , another way you could do this which would better as the first example doesn't account for if users change the filename extension i.e. from .pdf to .txt

Create a match object like the below selecting to file types you would like to block

And then create an App rule as below

This way even if the user changes the extension the App rule will detect it is a PDF file and block accordingly as below,

the file I tried uploading to gmail I renamed the file from .pdf to .txt and as you can see the file was still correctly detected as a PDF file

Answers

• prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭
    edited July 2022

@tubadave17 you will have better luck with a custom object & Custom rule and exact match using the same format in your match object

F.Y.I. just tested with Gmail and it does block uploads

N.B. You must have DPI-SSL Enabled for it to work correctly and you also need to create a firewall rule outbound to block UDP 443 Google Quic Protocol

make sure you add the extensions as .exe etc.. don't forget the full stop

You can choose what direction

the Blocked page and the entry in the logs

• tubadave17tubadave17 Newbie ✭

Thanks @preston . I'll give it a shot!