Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

NSA2650 Reboot Trashes - Standalone Dell X-Series x1052P Switch

Halon5Halon5 Enthusiast ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am interested in thoughts here. @John_Lasersohn , @BWC ?

We have put some effort into getting the Dell X-Series switches working well with the SonicWALL for some time now. This has included getting all X-Series to stable firmware releases and using them throughout our compliment, constantly feeding back issues back to support wherever we can. We have had switches completely self-destruct and all sorts of issues

In our production environments across New Zealand, we decided to just have them connected to the SonicWALL without fully integrating as we found that doing that may carry some significant risk.

To that end we connected them in STANDALONE mode so we could at least identify connected X-Series units.

On the 6.5.4.5 release we encountered an issue whereby the SonicWALL effectively trashed the switch config on restart (taking out 8 Wireless AP's with it) Well, you can only imagine what that did.

Is it fair to expect that such a bug would be fixed? A STANDALONE switch should be just that, no?

ie. the NSA shouldn't trash the switch config on a restart in such a scenario...?

---Steph

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Comments

• Hello Steph: I am researching the issue now, hope to have an answer for you soon.

• Steph - I inquired with the most knowledgeable people and they are not aware of any known issues with this, so my next step is to search our issues list to see what I can find.

• Halon5Halon5 Enthusiast ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Hi @John_Lasersohn ,

Case #43306695 

Thanks, Steph.

• OK Steph, here is the verdict from Engineering on a ticket raised with them about a customer case which reported the same behavior exactly:

DTS #223104 - NSa 2650 with X-series,after upgrade to 6.5.4.5, reboot deletes the VLAN association

"What the customer is performing is not a supported operation -

If the switch is integrated with the firewall, no configurations should be performed on the switch.

If such configurations are performed, they will be reset when the firewall takes over managing the switch."

edited June 2020

But the switch is marked as STANDALONE.

We specifically didn't integrate it since the integration cant be "trusted" (in our opinion at this time). So visibility would have been somewhat useful at least.

• Maybe there is a config on the firewall that needs to be turned off. I am not familiar with that feature area.

Well the only way to protect the switch is to completely remove it from the SonicWALL or perhaps make it fully integrated but if its sitting there in STANDALONE mode and the firewall is capable of trashing it I can find no confidence in going forward.

• Poorni_5Poorni_5 SonicWall Employee

@Halon5

The case that you have referred here was owned by me. I worked with engineering team on this and then provided the update regarding what is supported and what is not. As referred by JOHN this was the update we had from the dev team.

"What the customer is performing is not a supported operation -

If the switch is integrated with the firewall, no configurations should be performed on the switch.

If such configurations are performed, they will be reset when the firewall takes over managing the switch."

To work on this further, i would suggest you to open a case with reference to the old case and one of our support engineers can assist you on this.

Thanks & Regards,

Poornima.T.R

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi Steph,

I will not be much of a help here, because I never used the X-Series, sorry.

--Michael@BWC

• Poorni_5Poorni_5 SonicWall Employee

@Halon5 , From an other community post, I realized that it is not a good idea to upgrade to 6.5.4.6 especially if there is a DELL switches. If you have any plans of upgrading, please leave it on hold for a while or do it on a site which has very less users and minimal business impact.

Please do let us know if you have any queries.

Do take a backup and export the settings before the upgrade.

Thanks and Regards,

Poornima.T.R