Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Direct VPN tunnel over the Internet on the same subnet

Hi

I have a VPN tunnel with sonicwalls on both ends. Is there a way to have site B on the same subnet as site A?

Thanks

Category: High End Firewalls

Answers

• TonyATonyA SonicWall Employee

Hi @JAlkazian ,

If both sites have the same subnet, you can set up a site to site VPN and use NAT to help the traffic traverse.

Please see the following KB article that will show you the steps how to set this up:

How can I configure NAT over VPN in a Site to Site VPN? | SonicWall

Or do you mean you are looking to extend the network from Site A to Site B? Due to routing issues, this is not possible but if they both have the same subnet, please see the kb above.

Anthony

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

@JAlkazian

What exactly you want to accomplish with this configuration?

• JAlkazianJAlkazian Newbie ✭

ideally both sites would be using the same subnet 10.3.64.0 because site B cannot reach an IP address on site A that is connected on a separate VPN on site A

• TonyATonyA SonicWall Employee

Hi @JAlkazian ,

Based on your last comment, It sounds like you have 3 sites and you would like communication between all three? if that is the case, a hub and spoke VPN set up might be what you are looking for:

Implementing Hub and Spoke Site-to-Site VPN (Video Tutorial) | SonicWall

Anthony

• TalleyrandTalleyrand Newbie ✭

It's not a smart move......

Use NAT.....

You will get masses of garbage windows packets going over your network , that does not specifically need to.

also you end up with problems of broadcast packets....

and don't even get me started about multi site DNS & DHCP.....

I run something similar between multi countries.

Setup a nice subnet at each site and then NAT between locations, only for the traffic you need.

• JAlkazianJAlkazian Newbie ✭

Thank you... yea, not going to go that way... much appreciated for all your guidance.