Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SonicWall warranty issues

This is a buyer's beware comment.

A couple of days there a surge hit my network, probably due to a nearby lightning strike, which caused a power blink.

I had 2 modems (a fiber and a coax), a network switch, and a SonicWall TZ370 in my server room. All devices were located on the same table and all were plugged into a surge protector that in turn was plugged into a UPS. The TZ370 was only connected to those devices. All of them, except for the TZ370, stayed up and had no issues.

After working with it I determined the TZ370 was dead and placed a service call on it. I still have 18 months remaining on the warranty. I was told by tech support that because it was due to a surge it would not be covered by a warranty. My point was that other electronics in this situation survived just fine so I guess some sort of design defect was why the TZ370 failed.

The tech said sorry but there was nothing he could do. He told me to buy a hardware only TZ370 and have the licenses transferred.

I bought a unit but today when I called to do license transfers I was told that could not be done.

So my basic conclusion is SonicWalls are great devices but you'd better hope they never break because the service is both expensive and useless.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Comments

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@louismcc I had a similar case in 2013 where a TZ got damaged in a storm. The regional sales manager back than stepped in to approve the transfer. Can't tell how it's done these days but you should talk to your SNWL partner to escalate. I can't imagine that there isn't a solution for this, this would be a showstopper for many.

It's SonicWall Boundless Cyber Security after all.

--Michael@BWC

• EnaEna SonicWall Employee

Hi @louismcc,

Thanks for reaching out to the SonicWall Community.

I've flagged your post internally. There should be an Account Manager reaching out soon to see if there is anything we can do to help.

Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

• Your situation is, apparently, common. I have a client whose building was more than likely struck by lightning also. It blew out their alarm system, generator, 5 managed switches, several surge protectors and UPS's, the elevator, and the X0 and X1 ports on their 13 month old TZ470. Support says that Sonicwall Warranty does not cover damage by storms (acts of god). I can't believe that Dell/EMC would do something like this to their returning customers. My MSP only sells Sonicwalls and we have a Certified Sonicwall Tech in house but I think I might recommend we start using another company.