Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

What happens to the existing firewall when you bring up a new one under Secure Upgrade?

We have an existing firewall (NSA 4650) that is having some hardware issues. So rather than fight with it for another 9 months, we've gone ahead and purchased a replacement (NSA 4700) using Secure Upgrade with APSS. The vendor tells us that we just need to license the new firewall and choose upgrade and it will transfer the remaining time on our existing device and we essentially have a 3 year license (2 years purchased plus the remaining 9 months) - Great!

My question before I boot this thing up and get it ready to swap into production is - what happens to the existing firewall the minute I license the new one? Does it stop working altogether or do I lose the IPS/GAV features etc... Do I have some time before that happens (days, weeks?) The plan is to take the config of the existing firewall, migrate it via sonicwall's migration tool and apply it to the new firewall, license it and swap the two after hours. But, in the event there is a snag or some problem that prevents that and we have to keep the existing firewall in place a few extra days or weeks - what happens to the existing firewall?

Thanks.

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Best Answers

• CORRECT ANSWER
    LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Here's the definitive article that answers you questions:

You want to register it first to ensure things work, and then transfer the licenses after you are OK with the way things are.

• CORRECT ANSWER
    BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

@dspjones as part of the SecureUpgrade registration you can decide to Register&Transfer or just Register for the moment. This gives you around 60 days to finish your setup and run both units. After that time (or earlier) you do the transfer and get the remaining licenses from your old unit on top.

The old unit will lose it's Security Services, but Firewall/VPN/Routing etc remains. You cannot re-register the old unit.

--Michael@BWC

Answers