Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

outgoing emails are bounced on receiver side : no PTR or FQDN for the SonicWall HES Ip

ThKThK Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

specially emails to t-online.de (and others) were bounced since this morning. I found HES sends out over IP 16 or IP 18 which are not have an PTR or RDNS entry so Providers block these emails.

Support ticket is no answer til now. Maybe they start working just now in the US...

HES from the beginning the same issues over and over. I wait for the Backscatterer listing on that . I fear its comming...

---Thomas

Category: Hosted Email Security

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

@ThK as mentioned, it seems that the RDNS issue got resolved, because reverse mapping looks good to me for now, SOA record of 221.240.173.in-addr.arpa indicates that there was a change on April 21st, hopefully for the better. But it may take a while until Telekom picks it up?

I don't expect to have this properly addressed by Support, except you're dealing with @David W or @Gailand these guys are the two remaining unicorns which have the knowledge and insight.

--Michael@BWC

• David WDavid W SonicWall Employee

The sending IP's were changed yesterday and it has taken a little time for the DNS propagation.

I've asked the team that manages those changes to double check the records as well.

No matter what we do there are customers that do not import users and set DHA.

This unfortunately causes listings on Backscatter.

The change in IP is an attempt to at least lessen the time Spent on the RBL's that effects our customers.

If they do get listed in the coming weeks the other 2 IP's would have fallen off the list and we can move back and forth as needed.

David Wilbur

Technical Support Senior Advisor, Premier Services , SME Email Security

• ThKThK Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@David W that's already a good strategy, because I / we are always surprised. Then you start turning the whole thing inside out to find a mistake. Ultimately, the HES remains and you then have to confess that (again) to the customer.

Thanks, Thomas

• David WDavid W SonicWall Employee

The changes made have been reverted for now while The team investigates a couple issues.

We will look into making the IP changes at a later date for the moment.

David Wilbur

Technical Support Senior Advisor, Premier Services , SME Email Security

• ThKThK Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@David W after our conversation on Friday i checked one customer but it failed again. So your info was helpful. Please keep us up to date on ongoing changes so that the customer doesn't start complaining again

--Thomas