Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SonicWAVE gripes, a list

LitBobOnLitBobOn Newbie ✭

After coming from Extreme, here are mine

TROUBLE AND LIMITATIONS OF SONICWALL AND SONICWAVE ACCESS POINTS

When you make virtually any change to the wireless configurations all access points go offline to reboot. OK, so this is actually fairly standard if you make a big change, like add a network, but it shouldn't happen every time for every little thing.

Reusing VAP objects doesn't always work. It is best to create new VAP to guarantee it works on first try/reboot

Sometimes when access points reboot they go into Licensing mode for several minutes and are unusable until resolved

You can only have up to eight (8) Virtual Access Points objects (Wireless networks) in use at one time

You cannot have multiple authentication methods for a single Wireless VLAN

Wireless VLANs/Zones are strictly for wireless and cannot have wired clients connected i.e., through physical interfaces

SonicWALL SonicWAVE initial Support agents are not network engineers and it is nearly impossible to get escalated to a real engineer

Cheers

Category: SonicWave

Best Answers

Answers

• LitBobOnLitBobOn Newbie ✭

@preston Thank you. Can I do this without NSM subscription? If so, my bad: either I didn't read the instructions well enough, or documentation is so poor, I had no idea this was possible without a NSM cloud subscription.

• LitBobOnLitBobOn Newbie ✭

Cool. I don't have any spares but I'd like to try this if we ever make a change. Thanks again!