Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Thoughts on sonicwall switches

Hey everyone,

What’s everyone’s thoughts on using Sonicwall switches? Currently we have sonicwall firewalls with a mix of Cisco and other brand of switches. I was not the one who set all of this up. Just inherited it, lol. Looking at doing a refresh in the new year. Since all of our sites are already running Sonicwall firewalls (site-site VPN’s) to connect them all. I’m considering going with their switches as well. For the people who have used them. What are your thoughts on them? Not looking for anything fancy, a few VLANs, POE capability.
Category: Switches

Best Answers

• CORRECT ANSWER
    prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @sdeyoung, I find the new switches are ok not sure how they compare in price to other vendors though,

I personally prefer to manage them via the Cloud portal though rather than through the firewall, the same with the SonicWave AP's as easier to deploy and more Wireless features,

I'd also rather keep them in separate portals to manage them so you don't have everything on the UTM appliance, you can also manage the switches directly if you need also via the GUI and SSH.

• CORRECT ANSWER
    gregc00gregc00 Newbie ✭
    Answer ✓

Sonicwall switches don't properly support SNMP at this time.

firmware up to 1.0.0.0-39 had it implemented wrong, after that it's disabled until they have a fix for unspecified issues.

I also had a brand new sws14-48fpoe which - after 3 days in service - started rebooting all PoE devices every 5 minutes. This was fixed by a reboot and firmware update (which killed snmp)

I was really expecting better.

-Greg C

• CORRECT ANSWER
    ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

We trialled a few at a customer site and we had random reboots and then some bizarre issue with the switch continually uploading to chicken-sonicwall.sonicwall.com [I'm not making this up, there were other animals as well, eg raccoon].

Sonicwall switches don't properly support SNMP at this time.

I was told in late 2020 that this was going to be fixed soon - the issue I had was a hard-coded community of "PUBLIC" [and no MIBs].

The Engenius versions of every model are quite a bit cheaper, and as they are the OEM then I would speculate that the support would probably be better as well, although I wouldn't know as I haven't used them.

Answers

• gregc00gregc00 Newbie ✭

I got a note from SW support that firmware 1.1.1.1 is in the works and will resolve the SNMP issues. No ETA though, and switch fw doesn't adhere to a release cycle.

• gregc00gregc00 Newbie ✭

My SWS14-48fpoe units auto-upgraded to 1.1.1.0-2s and the SNMP pages are back in the local UI.

I'm not able to get them to get SNMP config from the wireless cloud manager, but I was able to follow these instructions to get them responding for SNMP v2c

Switch Administration Guide - How to configure SNMP on SonicWall Switch - SonicWall

The switches have been stable since our startup hiccups.