Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Secondary WAN query - safe to plug in?

I am in the unique position of having two WANs for the moment, we've just had a new fibre put in (and tested it) but there is some overlap - maybe a month to six weeks - to when the "old" fibre will be shut down. We've been contemplating setting up a secondary WAN connection for the time being and configuring it for LB failover since we may as well use both.

I have entered the details of the new WAN IPs into an interface on our Sonicwall 2700 but am resisting actually plugging in, just in case something goes awry - before plugging in the secondary WAN is there anything else I should consider?

I appreciate that this might be vague for now but I might be able to expand on this depending on the response.

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Until you edit the Failover & LB settings, plugging in a secondary WAN interface won't affect your primary WAN connectivity.

Answers

• A_ElliottA_Elliott Enthusiast ✭✭

If the long-term plan is to replace the existing circuit, I'd get it plugged in and migrated ASAP.

• RobbunRobbun Newbie ✭

Well ultimately we know we want to do that but circumstances don't allow it immediately, however, if I plug the second WAN in whilst it's connected to the load balancer would have any impact on the primary wan connection at the time?