Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Restrict Remote Management to IP Address

Hello, I'm new to Sonicwall devices and Community. hope someone might be able to help me..

I generally have allowed Remote Management of my devices so that I can manage them from my home/office - however it was pointed out that this should be restricted to only allow my IP address to access these devices.

I've tried to follow the instructions I found (by creating an address object with my public IP address - called Tribus) and then placing that in the rule that allows remote management (on port 8443) - changing it from "any" to "Tribus"

however, when I do - it prevents my remote management and can only access from the LAN.. as soon as I change the rule back to "Any" - I can access it remotely.

Can anyone advise/comment?

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@MarkR you modified the WAN-WAN Rule for HTTPS Management to your X1 IP? This usually works as expected when you have your external (WAN) IP address used as source for that rule. That's a standard deployment I used in the hundreds.

You should crank up a Packet-Monitor for Port 8443 and see what and why it gets dropped.

--Michael@BWC

• MarkRMarkR Newbie ✭

Thanks for your prompt response..

I have attached a document - if you don't mind.. page 1 shows the rule with "Tribus" as the source and the result when it's in place.. page 2, shows the rule with "Any" as the source and the successful connection..

BTW - I just tried with the actual IP address of the destination (not the DYNDNS name) which I thought might be complicating things.. but it still doesn't work.

I'll try to trace as suggested.. unless you see something in the attached that might trigger a solution..

@MarkR if Tribus is identical to the IP where are you connecting from it should work.

If you hover over Tribus and "All X1 Management IP" it shows the addresses you expect?

Just make sure that traffic to port 8443 reaches your appliance and not get intercepted (Router on X1?).

--Michael@BWC

• MarkRMarkR Newbie ✭

Hello again, yes - "Tribus" reports my public IP address, and All X1 Management IP reports the clients public IP address..

just to clarify - without the restriction of "Tribus" as the source - the Remote Management works perfectly.. so - port number and clients IP address is working, the only thing in question is the source from Any to Tribus.

I was looking through the LOG files on the Sonicwall for information that might help - but can't seem to find which log would have this information.. can you advise on that?

@MarkR sounds all reasonable, I wouldn't bother with the System Log, just crank up a Packet-Monitor which might give a hint.

--Michael@BWC