Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

6.5.4.9-93n - NSM without NSM, wait what?

BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi,

today I saw some log messages, which does not make much sense, because they are NSM related, but I don't have any NSM licensed (CSC-MA a year ago, but completly wiped) and even ZeroTouch is disabled.

NSM:BW Changed for X0 -- old: 125000000.000000  new: 0.000000
NSM:ifWalkCb(1) - calling nsm_if_down for X0
NSM:UPDATE: Interface X0 down
NSM:ifWalkCb(2) - calling nsm_if_up for X0
NSM:BW Changed for X0 -- old: 0.000000  new: 125000000.000000

Any idea what could cause this? I'am not amused if some behind the scenes magic is tinkering with my settings.

--Michael@BWC

Category: Entry Level Firewalls
Tagged:

Answers

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@BWC - Michael, I did a quick Google search of the string "ifWalkCb" and the first page that came up was this:

Notice the name in the first bullet.

Do you have ARS enabled on this device? If so, these messages are - more than likely - associated with that service (not the other one).

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @Larry yes indeed I have ARS enabled on that device, I don't really need it (maybe was playing with it a while back) so I disabled it and see if it changes anything.

Weirdly that ARS is tinkering with BWM settings, but who I'am to judge.

While searching for ifWalkCb it's a bit odd that the article came up, because ifWalkCb is not mentioned in the article or the code.

--Michael@BWC

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@BWC - Michael, thanks for this post. I got an early morning "device down" alert from an Aruba cloud-based switch at a client site.

A careful look of the Gen 7 log showed X0 and X4 going down - followed by those cryptic NSM messages. A few minutes later they came back - along with some more cryptic NSM messages.

Going to turn off ARS off-hours.

Still no telling why the device suddenly decided to take out the LAN and the Wi-Fi like that. So, off to build a support case I go...