Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

0 byte upgrade file from Migration tool

I am trying to upgrade from a TZ400 to a TZ370W and when I use the migration tool it says it is successful but it outputs a 0 byte file. If I attempt to upload that file to the target firewall it says it is corrupt. I have opened the file in notepad and it has no content at all in it.

Category: Entry Level Firewalls
Tagged:

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Rex

Are you running the Migration tool from within MySonicWall or from the URL?

I just ran this in Firefox from the URL (https://migratetool.global.sonicwall.com/) and it provided the appropriately sized output file.

Suggest you try an alternate browser and go direct.

Post your results.

Answers

• RexRex Newbie ✭

This did work. I was using Chrome originally (I was using the URL provided). Tried it with Firefox and it correctly output a normal sized file.

• tcantintcantin Newbie ✭

Good day.

I have to migrate from NSA2400 (release 5.9.1.7-2o) to NSA 2650 (6.5.4.8).

During the process, the original configuration seems to be found as the migration tool see the interfaces with correct settings. But finally I got the same issue having 0 byte output file. I tried the migration tool, with Chrome and Firefox.

Any idea?

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@tcantin - the only suggestions I have: Open Firefox, clear the browser's cache (retain your cookies), close Firefox. Reopen Firefox and retry the Migration Tool.

• blublubblublub Newbie ✭

As said:

Clear Browser history

Try different browser

Also:

try a different PC if you are behind a FW with GAV or simialr

Also:

Try a 1:1 mapping inside the config tool

I had the same issues and at one point it finally worked. However afterwards 2 o3 FW rules were missing and 2 NAT rules were not migrated - so even if it works a thorough inspection is needed

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

so even if it works a thorough inspection is needed

THIS! So very much so!

The only options I can come up with (thanks @TKWITS ) is:

1. Have both devices up and go screen by screen through each of the functions and settings (Tip: keep one off the network to avoid major problems!)
    2. Generate a TSR from each device and use a utility like Beyond Compare to scroll through the listings.

Either approach is mind-numbingly tedious.

The alternative is to build from scratch. But there's no telling how long that could take when a device can have upwards of several dozen Rules and 100s of Address Objects and Groups.