Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

First time using Swagger - I'm confused about two-factor authentication

LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

The SonicOS 6.5.4 API documentation (https://www.sonicwall.com/techdocs/pdf/sonicos-6-5-4-api-reference-guide.pdf) says the following:

SonicOS API supports Two Factor Authentication (TFA) for administrators

And yet, it seems that "supports" really means "requires you to use" - because I can't seem to login.

The web page of the Swagger UI reads:

If you are authenticating a username for the first time ever, please login to GUI and scan QR code to active two-factor authentication.

So could someone please confirm that TFA is required?

And if so, perhaps @shiprasahu93 or @EnaBev could you please get the documentation corrected?

FWIW, I've never used TFA to access my own office firewall.

Thanks!

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• Thomas_BuergisThomas_Buergis Enthusiast ✭✭

Hi Larry

Swagger only supports two-factor and bearer token login. Nonetheless SonicOS API supports username/password authentication.

On SonicOS 7.0

2FA is not a must, but it is recommended.

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@Thomas_Buergis - I'm using 6.5.4 to try to extract all Address Objects in preparation for a migration to Gen7.

I was unsuccessful at getting any sort of response from Swagger without the 2FA code.

Having gotten that far, I received "TypeError: NetworkError when attempting to fetch resource." and sent an email to SonicWall Support because I cannot find out what that means or how to correct it.