Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Cannot login after importing config

blublubblublub Newbie ✭
edited February 2022 in Entry Level Firewalls

Hi

I managed to migrate my config from v6 to v7 and imported it without error.

The unit rebooted and I can connect to the webgui - after entering "admin" and "password", so the default credentials I am asked to change my password.

When I try to set my new password I get an error like this:

"An error has occurred but the cause could not be determined at this time."

Any ideas whats wrong here, this basically means I am locked out of the new unit for now

EDIT:

I thought since my first issue is resolved this new problem is basically also a new thread

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

@blublub , So you are saying the prompt for changing the password is before you get in to the main GUI but after you login with admin/password?

What Firmware is the Gen7 Appliance on? make sure it is on the latest 7.0.1-5050-R2374 if not already,

if on a previous firmware, then upload the latest, boot with Factory Defaults then re-import the settings.

the only time I've seen this and the only thing that could possibly cause this, is if on your original configuration you have Enforce password complexity or OTP enabled on your previous configuration file, as otherwise you are not normally prompted to change the password when logging in for the first time after importing a config file, as you know the config file doesn't contain the password but it does contain the password settings,

So you are saying the prompt for changing the password is before you get in to the GUI but after you login with admin/password?

I would think very carefully before selecting Wipe Device unless you has a SonicWall Serial Cable handy and the correct image file from Support to put the firmware back on, you should only need the Factory Reset at most, you should never select Wipe Device unless SonicWall Support ask you to.

The reason Wipe device is an option is if you want securely wipe the device and remove everything from the appliance before selling or scrapping the device, as this was not an option on previous Generation appliances, so if you had created a backup on Gen 6 and then you Factory Default the appliance the settings backup was still there with no option to remove it, technically you could just factory reset the appliance then create another backup which would then overwrite the original, but with the option on Gen7 you are making sure there isn't anything left on there that could include sensitive data.

if it is the case that your original config file did contain password complexity requirements just log in to the original Gen 6 appliance under Administration/Login Security and disable the settings before exporting the config file, you might want to also enable SSH on the X0 Interface also before export just in case you need another way in.

Answers