Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

MAC filtering

In MAC filtering for access points, there is naturally an allow list and deny list. What is the expected behavior of enabling the MAC filter, adding no MAC to allow or deny list? The reason I ask is because ideally I'd like to deny all unless they're in the allow list. I can't test this on our current system right now due to another on-going support case.

Category: High End Firewalls

Answers

• MitatOngeMitatOnge All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Hi @djhurt1 ,

• The MAC Allow List contains groups of address objects for network resources that the security appliance allows to connect via the WLAN, regardless of the selections in the deny list.
    • The MAC Deny List contains groups of address objects for network resources that the security appliance denies to connect via the WLAN, regardless of the selections in the allow list.

• djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭
    edited January 2022

They both say "regardless" of each other. So which one takes precedence? We shouldn't be trying to put a MAC in both but when that list starts to get large enough, I could see that happening. Is the most restrictive wins situation?

• MitatOngeMitatOnge All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

in the CFS, yes "most restrictive wins." but I dont know in the ACL.

• LitBobOnLitBobOn Newbie ✭

Just so you know, I've had no luck making this work. My AP's are in a single VAP and using an AP Profile. I can only think the exclusion options are in there for those who are not, ie. single AP no VAP.. I'd like to exclude a few MAC's from specific AP's but it just ignores this setting.

Ticket open for a couple weeks now. You can see my post in the wireless forum here