Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Is it possible to insert a SonicWall firewall after a Xfinity or Verizon home wireless router/modem.

I know it can be done where all ISP router/modem/Wi-Fi/firewall responsibilities are passed to a SonicWall wireless firewall.

BUT

Is it possible to insert a SonicWall (firewall only) after a Xfinity or Verizon home wireless router/modem to only handle firewall responsibilities and leave the wireless/routing responsibility with the Xfinity or Verizon home wireless router/modem??

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• ArkwrightArkwright All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

It depends what you want to achieve.

If you plug your Sonicwall WAN into the LAN port of your router, the LAN side of the Sonicwall will be a completely separate network to the wireless side of your router. By default you will be able to reach your wireless devices from your Sonicwall LAN side, but the wireless devices will not be able to initiate connections to devices on the LAN side of your Sonicwall. Wireless device traffic will not pass through your Sonicwall and will go straight to the internet. Everything on the LAN side of your Sonicwall will appear to your wireless router as just one device.

• MitatOngeMitatOnge All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Hi @philipsdj ,

can you give much more details?

1) are the xfinity and verizon your ISP?

2) what is your current topology

3) do you want create isolated network for wireless?

• @Arkwright

So there is no way for Wireless device traffic to pass through your SonicWall firewall?

If not in this configuration, what would be the best way to get a home ISP's wireless traffic to pass through the SonicWall firewall before going out to the internet?

• @MitatOnge

1) are the xfinity and verizon your ISP?

Could be either but for the sake of this scenario let's say Verizon.

2) what is your current topology

A Verizon wireless router deployed in a home environment with wireless devices connecting to the Verizon wireless router.

3) do you want create isolated network for wireless?

Would like to use the same current wireless network provided by the ISP by the Verizon wireless router.

edited February 2022

Put an AP on the LAN side of the Sonicwall, then the Sonicwall is in between the wireless users and the internet, and wireless user traffic will pass through the Sonicwall.

• MitatOngeMitatOnge All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Hi @philipsdj

if you want to use ISP Router to wireless distribution for local users. You cannot do it.

ISP ROUTER ---> FIREWALL---> USERS.

If ISP Router support vlan on router Wireless interface. you can configure separate vlan on wireless and assign ip address subnet and point to Sonicwall GW. Drytek modems can do. What is your Verizon modem model?

• @Arkwright

OK makes sense. Question, can I just use a wireless capable SonicWall firewall to do this so I don't have to deploy a separate AP? If so, in theory I would then have two separate wireless networks (Two separate SSIDs). One for the ISP which is not passing through my WiFi enabled SonicWall firewall and a separate one with wireless users traversing the SonicWall firewall correct? Is this possible and feasible? Will traffic from both networks be able to traverse the ISP's router?

SONICWALL WIRELESS USERS ---> SONICWALL FIREWALL WITH WIRELESS CAPABILITY ---> ISP ROUTER ---> INTERNET

ISP WIRELESS USERS --->ISP ROUTER ---> INTERNET

• RussFRussF Newbie ✭

Here's a possible thought -

I can't speak for Xfinity or Verizon - never dealt with them, but Spectrum allows you to purchase your own modems and routers. You are not limited to using theirs - they provide them for the non-technical-savvy users.

You mentioned a wifi-capable Sonicwall. It sounds like you haven't already purchased your equipment. Why don't you get a cable modem (NOT a modem-router-wifi combo - JUST a modem) and a Sonicwall of your choice with wifi. Completely do away with the modem/router/ap combo provided by the ISP. Connect the new modem to your incoming coax cable. You will have to call the ISP and give them the MAC address of the modem so it is tied to your account. Coming out of the modem's ethernet port - connect that to the WAN port of the Sonicwall - THAT becomes your router and wifi access point. No need to configure vlans or do routing gymnastics.

Your mileage may vary.

Russ

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

@philipsdj - could you please answer one key question: What are you trying to accomplish?

Start with the goal, because the answers you've been getting are all over the place and may - or may not - be helpful. But no one here knows what it is you are trying to achieve. (It was asked in the very first post, but was ignored.)

• INSPDougINSPDoug Newbie ✭
    edited February 2023

I'm really qualified on the physical layer and have changed only one thing on my topology, from Cable ISP to Verizon ISP. Could not log on three step IT log on(what you have what you know and desktop) and would not work. Changed back to the Cable ISP still no work. Ordered and installed new sonicwall and voila all worked again (on cable ISP). Reluctant to change back. Has anybody had any configuration issues with the Verizon 5G internet and SonicWall?

Topography: ISP (cable or Verizon) on structured cable to a Linksys router, structured cable to the Sonicwall, patch cable to a dell docking station.

Start your own thread, your question is completely different to this one.