Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Gen6 TZ - Cloud backup stopped on 12/29/2021 for firmware 6.5.4.8-89n

LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

Ticket 43864466 opened for this.

(Of course CSR suggested upgrading to 92n. Took much restraint to say cloud backup was completely broken - as opposed to stopped - in that firmware release. "But there's a hot-fix for that!" Yeah...)

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Comments

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

The evolution of my feelings about the ongoing quality of Support Services at this point examplary to the above:

🤣...😀...😉...😐️...🙄...😤...😢...😭...🤪

Thanks @Larry to take the burden for opening up a ticket on this mess.

--Michael@BWC

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

See the below response from support for the cloud backup issue;

Facing issue with all 6Gen units including Supermassive.

I dont want apply this HF in production environment. Awaiting for general release.

• LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭

On the phone - took 20 minutes to pick up - with a CSR who says this is the first case he's hearing about this problem.

He suggests rebooting the firewall to see if that will work...

Need to clear that activity with the business owner but hope to show that this is a real "shot in the dark" over the weekend.

Asked about the case that Ajishlal posted and that is nothing more than the standing order to go to 92n and then add the hot-fix. Oh boy, two reboots!

Sigh!

I'm hoping there'll be a GA version that has everything working some time in the spring, because things can't keep breaking like this...

Great follow-up question by CSR late yesterday evening: Can you do a manual cloud backup?

Turns out, you can.

Next question was: What happens if you reboot the device?

I have to clear time with the client who has staff working all sorts of weird hours remotely, but I don't think that's going to kick-start the flow.

The other day I learned that firewalls running 6.5.4.7-83n have not been doing cloud backups since the end of 2021 either.

Could someone remind me what the point of this feature is for if it doesn't work?

I dont know what kind of the R&D they are doing?? Now i am taking manual cloud backup & its working.

• CMacCMac Newbie ✭

The version SonicOS 6.5.4.9-92n doesn't fix it. Reboots do not help thus far either.

It is broken for Gen7 as well from the same time period up through at least SonicOS 7.0.1-5030-R2007. Manual cloud backups work, but not automatic scheduled ones. It also changes the case of the "Sat" for Saturday to lower case when you create the schedules.

Seems like a generalized cloud problem... We just use manual cloud backups when we make changes.

• sonicteksonictek Newbie ✭

All our Gen 6 and Gen 7 models appear to have stopped backing up at the end of December 2021. Lots of firewalls out there which we thought we're backed up haven't been. Not great for SonicWall at the moment.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

@sonictek break free with boundless cybersecurity, forget about backups 🤔

Marketing is so much more important than solid groundwork these days.

--Michael@BWC

@BWC,

Only marketing its true. Many issue / enhancement request escalated but no use.

edited January 2022

I can confirm for 6.5.4.8-89n and for 6.5.4.7-83n, if you delete ALL cloud backups from 2021, they will automatically resume in 2022.

If you have made MANUAL cloud backups in either year, they do not need to be deleted for this miracle to occur.

Will try and update you. Let me see i can see that miracle :)

@Larry.

This was helped me

Tested with SonicOS Enhanced 6.5.4.7-83n | Supermassive unit.

Removed all 2021 Auto backups & I saw the miracle :) its worked but don't know how long this miracle last. Will observe couple of weeks and update you.

• CMacCMac Newbie ✭
    edited January 2022

There are no backups showing at all in 6.5.4.9-92n as of today. Manual Cloud backups appear to run, but nothing is showing after they complete when using the Cloud..

@CMac - just want to point out there are two discussions about this.

This one is for 6.5.4.8-89n.

The other one is for 6.5.4.9-92n: https://community.sonicwall.com/technology-and-support/discussion/3426/gen6-cloud-backup-broken-in-6-5-4-9

For edification:

The only way 89n (or 83n) works is to delete the existing 2021 cloud backups.

The only way 92n works is to get the hot-fix from support. Or, as BWC reports, update to a new 93n if available for your machine.