Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

What is the best firewall for a home Verizon or Xfinity Wi-Fi network???

philipsdjphilipsdj Newbie ✭
edited December 2021 in Entry Level Firewalls

I need to setup a firewall on my home network. My home network consist of a standard issued Verizon or Comcast Wi-Fi router. I came across the page below the provides a high level overview of the deployment. However, the page does not go into specifics with regard to specifically which firewall to use. Additionally, it is not totally clear as to whether the solution is protecting a wired or Wi-Fi home network. Would you need a wireless firewall to protect a Wi-Fi network and a standard firewall to protect a wired network respectively. Can a standard firewall protect a Wi-Fi network? Please help. 

https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/how-can-i-set-up-a-sonicwall-firewall-behind-an-isp-modem/171123093403522/

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answers

• CORRECT ANSWER
    LarryLarry All-Knowing Sage ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@philipsdj if you take a look here you'll see the TZ line of SonicWall firewalls.

The models that end in "W" handle both wired and wireless environments.

SonicWall would prefer that you disable Wi-Fi in your ISP's modem/router and ask them to put the internet in Bridge mode.

That way you get to control everything via the firewall.

• CORRECT ANSWER
    Answer ✓

@philipsdj In some cases you can access the ISP's modem/router via 192.168.1.1 to work with some functions. However, you'd have to reach out to your ISP to find out the specifics regarding Bridge mode.

Let's clarify one thing: the "W" models have built-in Wi-Fi controls for Access Points. You use the SonicWall dashboard to control them.

You can purchase a firewall without the "W" and have Access Points controlled outside of the firewall by using Wireless Network Manager (WNM), which is an additional cost product for APs.

You can manipulate ALL SonicWall devices from the cloud using the Network Security Manager (NSM) product, which is an(other) additional cost license.

Hope that helps!

• CORRECT ANSWER
    Answer ✓

Yes, it has antennas to do just that.

Answers

• Super, thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. Some more questions, do most ISP provided Wi-Fi routers have the capability of being configured in Bridge mode? Do these SonicWall SOHO "W" models have the capability of being remotely managed over the internet?

• Super, thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. Some more questions, do most ISP provided Wi-Fi routers have the capability of being configured in Bridge mode? Do these SonicWall SOHO "W" models have the capability of being remotely managed over the internet?

• Thank you. Ok, one last question. I understand "W" model firewalls have built in Wi-Fi controls for Access points. Can the the "W" model firewall act as an Access Point itself? I am talking about a typical home network that the ISP's Wi-Fi router can currently support by itself right now without deploying any additional APs.