Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

GEO IP filter - add exception for this site to the allow list?

Some websites behave weird. Like for example https://forum.dynamobim.com/

It seems to be located in Switzerland, which we have blocked in the GEO IP filter. No worries, I create an address object for *.dynamobim.com and add it to the list of GEO IP filter exceptions. But the website is still blocked. In the Sonicwall System Log I see it being blocked as it resided in Switzerland. But I made an exception for this particular site, so why isn't it working? Just to make sure, I briefly add Switzerland to the GEO IP allow list. And indeed, the website loads fine. So removed Switzerland from the allow list and the site won't load anymore. I notice the System Log lists a different IP-address for this site every time I try to access it. So adding the IP-address to the list with exceptions won't do. When I perform an NSLookup for forum.dynamobim.com it lists this:

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:  dynamobim.bydiscourse.com

Addresses:   184.105.176.44

Aliases: forum.dynamobim.com

Added an exception for dynamobim.bydiscourse.com to the GEO IP allow list, but the site still won't load. HOw do I get this thing going without allowing the whole of Switzerland?

Simon

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Like most robust hosting services Discourse uses a content delivery network, you'll have to identify and add exceptions for that as well. Try adding *.discourse-cdn.com to your exceptions list.

Answers

• prestonpreston Enthusiast ✭✭
    edited November 2021

Hi @Simon_Weel you can add to the custom list, add the IPs which the FQDN's resolve to and set it to say it is in a country that you do allow, then tick enable Custom List and Override Firewall Countries By Custom List in the settings tab, then you can block the whole of Switzerland as it will take the IP addresses as being in the country that they are now set to not Switzerland.