Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Dynamic PPPoE connection TZ670 in HA setup

Hi,

A customer of us have a TZ670 in High Availability setup with a PPPoE fiber internet connection.

The High availability is configured in stateless mode since stateful does not work with PPPoE. The enable virtual mac option is enabled and there is a switch between the ISP modem and the HA setup.

We did test multiple fail-over tests but this was very bad before there was any connection available at the secondary. We had to wait around 10 minutes before the secondary unit had a ping reply at the WAN IP address.

Has any one experience with a situation like this?

Thanks!

Joury

Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @Jour I can only speak for Gen6 in HA with PPPoE and there it usually takes 1-2 Minutes when the failover happens.

Hopefully this isn't getting worse with Gen7 because I'am somewhat before replacing some Gen6 Installations, including HA.

--Michael@BWC

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jour

Fyi, I am using stateful HA (Gen6) with 2 PPPoE interface and its working fine & the fail-over happening in 1-2min.

Stateful HA will provides Improved reliability & Faster Failover performance.

• JourJour Newbie ✭

Hi @Ajishlal ,

Thank you for the information provided.

Do you also have a switch between ISP modem and SonicWALL's? Just try to figure out if there's a problem in the setup.

But it's good to hear that it works for others in Gen 6 with a fail over time of 1-2 min. I am a little bit confused that stateful works in your situation. The documentation of SonicWALL (G6 and G7 says that stateful should be disabled), but of course this is very useful information.

Thanks! Joury

Hi @Jour

Yes. I do have switch in between Firewall & ISP Modem.

• JourJour Newbie ✭

@Ajishlal ,thank you for sharing this with me.

Do you have any VLAN's configured on the WAN switch? Don't know if the sysadmin of that company have done that, but maybe useful to know.

Thanks! Joury

Hi @Jour

Yes 3 VLAN has been configured for each WAN connection.