Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

SMA 500v upgrade path query

A while ago (probably last year or so) it was mentioned that to get my sma500v on firmware 8.x up-to-date, I'd need to go through,....

• SMA 9.0.x.x

• SMA 10.0.x.x

• SMA 10.2.x.x

I've updated to 9.x, but now there seems to be no 10.0 firmware listed on MySonicWall. Only 9.0.0.x and 10.2.x.x

Albeit only a maintenance release, the latest seems to be 10.2.1.1.

Can I go direct from 9.0.0.8 to 10.2.1.1? Or do I still need to install a 10.0.x.x as an interim step?

I don't understand why any upgrade guides and release notes for the firmware don't mention what you can upgrade from, or an upgrade path. Unless there is a document somewhere and i've not come accross it yet.

Category: Secure Mobile Access Appliances

Answers

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭
  • CanfordCanford Newbie ✭

Thanks Michael.

I'm not sure it does. I don't want to import settings from one model to another. The only reference to SMA500v in that article seems to mention that's it's a currently supported model.

I can't find a specific document for the SMA500, but there is one for the SMA100.

https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/upgrade-path-for-sma100-series/190314100423452/

If it's the same, it suggests it may be ok to go from 9.0.0.x to 10.x, however....

• SonicWall recommends a stepped upgrade process that goes from one major version to the next. For example 8.0 to 8.1, then 8.1 to 8.5, 8.5 to 8.6, 8.6 to 9.0, and then it can be upgraded from 9.0 to 10.0. Skipping versions may work, but is not recommended. Skip versions at your own risk.

I don't understand why they don't put the information in the release notes. i.e. "can be upgraded from x, y, or z firmware".

Not to mention the many versions available for download, all with differing release dates and version numbers. Oddly, often the higher version numbers aren't the latest release dates.

What isn't clear, is that if all the models are all bundled under this "100 series" category.

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @Canford the 10.0 got unlisted because of the plethora of security issues. But IMHO you can go from 9.x to 10.2.0.8 or 10.2.1.1 like shown in the upgrade matrix.

SMA500v is part of the 100 Series, the linked KB article got you covered.

--Michael@BWC