Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Gateway AV and packet monitor

djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭
edited October 2021 in Mid Range Firewalls

We have a client software that reaches out to an on prem. server for updates. Our TZ570 units are flagging the files as a virus per the cloud database. I've added an exception for one signature now a few days later it's triggering via a different signature. When the update was failing I initially did a packet monitor to see if it was indeed the firewall blocking. I eventually did a monitor of everything and searched the results. No dropped packets. However going through the log monitor there was a plethora of events logged pertaining to a transfer from server A to client B with their specific Ip addresses listed as src and dst accordingly. My question is why do these not show up in packet monitor as dropped? Only in the log monitor. I naively assumed the packet monitor looked at everything on all interfaces and captured accordingly.

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Best Answer

Answers

• djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭
    edited October 2021

@TKWITS

Interesting that you said that. In the end I did in fact end up setting a blanket exception for the server. Been trouble free for a couple days now.

I guess the word dropped wasn't the best to use. I was hoping the packet monitor would somehow indicate that something was flagged with the packet since it does hit an interface but doesn't make it through to the DST.