Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

CFS question

PitamericaPitamerica Newbie ✭
edited October 2021 in Entry Level Firewalls
Hi, i am new at sonicwall.
I'm just testing the content filter. I recognize that HTTP and https traffic is blocked, but when i use a IP address to get to a external IP adress there is still a connection in the browser. I can easily access the site... Can someone help me with that?
Category: Entry Level Firewalls

Answers

• TKWITSTKWITS Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Content filtering works off of categorizing DNS addresses. You'd have to add the IP address to a URI list, then use that URI list as the 'Forbidden URI' list, with the forbidden action as 'block'.

Hope that helps.

• Thank you, i allready have that url list. i test it on several clients. for example if the client have to visit bmw.com it is blocked. then i put the bmw.com in the custom allowed url list and then the client can visit that page.

then i made a test with an external webserver on a specific ip that is "not" in the allowed url list and the client can connect. that shocked me....

where is my fault ?

I repeat. You'd have to add the IP address to a URI list, then use that URI list as the 'Forbidden URI' list, with the forbidden action as 'block'.

• ok, but i like to forbid all and only allow the urls and ips in the allowed list. or did i missundertsood ?

You did not specify that you wanted to forbid ANY IP address. I do not think you can accomplish that with CFS, maybe with AppControl / AppRules.

• thank you