Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

DHCP on Guest issue

TZ570 with VAP in Guest zone on VLAN 10. Scope is configured for VLAN 10 however clients are not getting and address. There is a another VAP for "production wireless" in WLAN bridged to X0 LAN getting addresses from external server. There is an IPHelper configured for X0 to the external DHCP server. In IpHelper there is two policies. 1 for WLAN and another for LAN. Any ideas why Guest VAP clients are not getting and address from the TZ570?

Category: Mid Range Firewalls

Best Answer

• CORRECT ANSWER
    djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭
    edited August 2021 Answer ✓

Unfortunately after having several eyes look at these it appears these switches just don't do what we were told they could do by the vendor very easily. Management has chosen to keep with the simplicity of Dell managed switches and return the sonicwalls.

Answers

• djhurt1djhurt1 Newbie ✭

I should add the "Guest" zone was created with wireless security type.

• AjishlalAjishlal Community Legend ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @djhurt1

You would have to TAG the Guest VLAN ID (VLAN10) in Guest WLAN SSID for fetching the Guest DHCP pool IP.

Zone you have to create for the Guest WLAN.

• Hi @DJHURT1,

Are you using SonicWave for wireless and if so, how is it connected to the SonicWall? I meant to ask if it is connected directly or via Switch.

Please make sure to configure VLAN on the switch too if its a manageable one.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

Hi @djhurt1

While configuring the Guest SSID in Sonicwave, did you configure the sub-interface VLAN ID?

Sonicwave SSID Configuration:

Firewall Sub Interface Configuration:

DHCP Pool for Sub-Interface (VLAN10)

edited August 2021

@Ajishlal

Yes, attached is screenshots.

@Saravanan

This is a sonicwave and connected via a sonicwall 8 port POE switch. I suspected it's something with the VLANs on the switch but these are very different from any switch I've worked with before. I "believe" I have the port connected to the TZ570 set to trunk but I may be wrong there.

• Hi @DJHURT1,

Thanks.

You can do a packet capture on the SonicWall with Interface Name as Guest VLAN interface, Ether Type IP, IP Type UDP and Destination Ports 67, 68. This will tell you if the DHCP packets from the Guest network client's IP request can reach the SonicWall. If you see no packets, we may need to diagnose at the switch level.

Regards

Saravanan V

Technical Support Advisor - Premier Services

Professional Services

Hi @DJHURT1,

I doubted your Switch configuration. Please make sure your switch uplink to the firewall is configured as trunk and configure/tag the VLAN ID to the switch ports where you connected the sonicwaves.

For example sonicwave connected ports must have tagged the both VLAN ID which you created for the WiFi.

I've all but given up on setting the switch up directly connected as the interface is not straight forward to me. I've been trying to get it managed through the firewall UI, however that's not going well either. The switch appears, I select to authorize and it shows up however it says it's unreachable. I set a seperate interface on X4, gave it an Ip address, firewall adds a DHCP pool for the subnet, but the switch never pulls an address. If I assign X4 an address in the default switch subnet, eg. 192.168.168.1 the switch is seen again by the firewall but again it says it's unreachable and no configuration can be done. I've resorted to reset both switch and firewall to factory default with no success. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi @djhurt1

Recommend to contact Sonicwall support to resolve your switch issue.

edited August 2021

@Ajishlal

I can't configure the switch uplink as trunk. I can however configure the port connected to sonicwave as trunk and that seems to work. What is confusing is why do these have to be portshielded in order to expose the option assign a port to a VLAN.