Join the Conversation

To sign in, use your existing MySonicWall account. To create a free MySonicWall account click "Register".

Is there any working ConnectTunnel Client available for Mac Pro M1?

UdanaUdana Newbie ✭

Hi All,

May I know whether there is a compatible ConnectTunnel client available for Mac Pro M1? I found a thread related to the same in January and at that time, there wasn't a compatible client. May I know whether there is a compatible ConnectTunnel client available?

Category: VPN Client

Answers

• NatNat Newbie

mac store mobile connect is working for m1.

• UdanaUdana Newbie ✭

Hi NAT,

Thanks for the update. However, do we need Rosetta to run this or is it possible to run the app once it is downloaded without any issues?

• BWCBWC Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Hi @Udana it's an universal binary, so no Rosetta needed with 5.0.8:

SonicWall Mobile Connect: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [x86_64:Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64] [arm64:Mach-O 64-bit executable arm64]

SonicWall Mobile Connect (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

SonicWall Mobile Connect (for architecture arm64):	Mach-O 64-bit executable arm64

--Michael@BWC

• NatNat Newbie

Hi @Udana , you can see from below:

Apple Silicon should mean running in Rosetta, so Mobile Connect should be native.

• vkrtandravkrtandra SonicWall Employee

@Udana the latest Connect Tunnel clients are published on SonicWall website at https://www.sonicwall.com/products/remote-access/vpn-clients/.

This macOS client supports Apple Silicon based Macs natively.

• helpdeskinchelpdeskinc Newbie ✭

Just adding a data point here, the current Connect Tunnel for Mac build 12.41.01037 still ***does not launch* in Mac OS 12.4. Neither in ARM or Rosetta2 mode. Since the compatibility notes say it should work with 10.13+, and 10.13 was, oh, 4-5 years ago, I would not be surprised if this has not been touched regularly for compatibility testing. Others' experiences?

edited June 2022

OK, I've solved this. Sonicwall has a support doc from 2021 noting that Connect Tunnel on Mac OS needs Java installed (really?!). But that doc looks like it was written to reference a much older version of Mac OS and older versions of Java - nor are the instructions correct for current Mac OS.

So, I thought, I'll play along. I downloaded latest Azul JDK for ARM here (also x86 version):

https://www.azul.com/downloads/?package=jdk#download-openjdk

after installing that, Connect Tunnel client launches, can be configured, and works under Mac OS 12.4.

But...no performance difference at all in my iperf testing vs. Sonicwall Mobile Connect Client 5.0.10 on Mac OS.

Sonicwall you should note the Java install requirement on install!!!!

(SSL VPN performance is pretty bad compared to IPSEC, I am troubleshooting this now with Sonicwall support for an SMA 6210)

Unfortunately, that is not accurate. It seems to require Java to work at all. And there is no reference (or launch test) for that during the install of it.

• SonicAdmin80SonicAdmin80 Cybersecurity Overlord ✭✭✭

Java requirement is very bad. If they really need to use it, they should bundle it with Connect Tunnel.

@helpdeskinc, have you tried Wireguard support in the latest SMA firmware? It's supposed to be faster than regular SSL-VPN.